Hiring the right personal injury lawyer to handle your injury claim may be one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make. You need to find a lawyer who will act as your advocate and get you the very best settlement or jury award possible. You also need a lawyer who helps you understand what’s going on every step of the way.
A top personal injury lawyer will discuss your case with you in a free consultation telephone call or meeting before you have to commit to hiring that lawyer. There are key questions you should ask during the consultation to help you decide whether a particular lawyer is right for you.
Questions to Ask Your Potential Personal Injury Lawyer
- Do you have experience with cases such as mine? Like doctors, lawyers practice in certain specialty areas. Your personal injury lawyer should have experience with cases involving slip and fall injuries, motor vehicle accidents, construction accidents, police brutality incidents and accidents caused by the negligence of nursing homes, hospitals, landlords, restaurants, hotels and retail stores.
- How strong is my case? Every case is different, but a top personal injury lawyer can give you an idea of the strength of your case and whether it is worth pursuing.
- How much will it cost? Most personal injury lawyers represent their clients on a contingency fee basis, where you pay no fees unless you receive a verdict or settlement. Your lawyer should openly discuss the fee arrangement with you.
- Who will work on my case? You want an attorney who is not afraid to go head to head with the powerful insurance companies that represent personal injury defendants. Choose a firm that employs experienced attorneys, paralegals and medical experts. Experienced professionals can help maximize your recovery.
- What is required of me? A top personal injury lawyer will do the “heavy lifting” in your case while you focus on your medical treatment and recovery. However, your lawyer needs basic information from you about how your injury happened, who your medical providers are, how much work you have missed and the like.
- When will my lawyer communicate with me? Communication should be a top priority for lawyer and client alike. Although there may be periods during your case when nothing significant is happening, your lawyer should be available to answer your questions and provide you with status reports throughout the life of your personal injury claim.
Finding the Top Personal Injury Law Firm
Some clients find their personal injury lawyer by talking to coworkers, friends and relatives who have pursued a personal injury claim that led to a verdict or a settlement. Other clients conduct Internet research to find a lawyer.
A top personal injury law firm‘s website can give you a good idea of the firm and its attorneys. A comprehensive website can answer some of the questions you need answers to. When reviewing a personal injury attorney’s website:
- Look for information about past victories. If a law firm has obtained substantial jury verdicts or settlements for its clients in the past, the firm may have published press releases or reports about these successes.
- Review biographies of the lawyers and other professionals in the firm so you can assess their level of experience.
- Watch for a list of the types of cases the firm is qualified to take on. You’ll want to hire a lawyer who has extensive experience litigating cases similar to yours.
- Find out how to set up a consultation with a lawyer at the firm. A personal meeting or telephone conference with a lawyer gives you an opportunity to find out more about whether a particular firm is the right one to handle your personal injury claim.
Contact the Top Personal Injury Lawyers in New York Today
If you have a personal injury suit, contact the top personal injury lawyers in New York today. The attorneys at The Law Offices of Mark E. Weinberger have helped personal injury victims for over 29 years. For a free consultation and case review, call 516-829-7270.