In many ways, slip-and-fall accidents are easy to avoid if the proper steps are taken. At the same time, these accidents remain very common, and part of the reason is simply that people don't always know why they happen or how to prevent them. They don't get as much media attention as other accidents.
With that in mind, here are five common reasons that people find themselves on the way to the emergency room after a slip-and-fall accident.
- Flooring is poorly constructed. For instance, the levels are different when changing from one type of flooring to another, creating a small lip that trips people up.
- Spills aren't cleaned up quickly. Wet floors, especially wood and tiles floors, are very dangerous. If spills aren't cleaned up, they should at least be marked.
- The weather plays a role. For instance, a winter storm covers a New York sidewalk in snow and ice, and the owner makes no effort to remove it in a timely manner.
- Visibility is low. Something as simple as walking in a parking lot or an alley can be dangerous if you can't see. Low visibility on stairs is especially hazardous.
- Caretakers are neglectful. This doesn't apply to everyone, but it's a huge issue in nursing homes. Falls are common with the elderly, and caretakers must provide proper care and assistance at all times.
Would you like to learn more about your legal rights after a slip-and-fall accident? If so, you'll be glad to know that our website can answer many of the questions that you have.