People rely on police officers every day for their safety and protection. However, sometimes this is not the case when one is the victim of police brutality. To protect your rights and others from being victimized in the future, it is vital that you report police brutality cases to the right authorities. If you or you know someone who was a possible victim of law enforcement officers in New York, seek the services of a New York police brutality lawyer immediately in order to protect your rights and seek justice.
Steps to Report Police Brutality
- Try to obtain the police officer’s badge number and name if possible.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you were physically injured, even if you have been arrested. You have the right to visit an infirmary or be transferred to a hospital.
- Remember, and if possible, write down the event in detail, such as the date, time, location, description of the police officers, and other relevant facts.
- Take pictures of your injuries, or have someone else do it for you. Make sure to take pictures of the whole body, so there would be no doubt that the subject in the photos is the victim.
- Contact an experienced police brutality lawyer in New York, and submit your written account and documentation to him. The lawyer could then decide the next step to take, and help you file a lawsuit if that is the best option.
- You can then submit a formal written complaint about the police brutality to the police department. Contact the precinct where that police officer works and file an official complaint.
Police are supposed to control a situation using minimum force possible. Police and private security officers are not allowed to incur bodily injury to civilians or inmates, especially when the civilian is not a threat. If they violate someone’s civil rights, they are breaking the law.
Contact a New York Police Brutality Lawyer
If you or someone you know have been the possible victim of police brutality, it is not too late to contact an experienced police brutality lawyer of New York. The experienced lawyers at The Law Offices of Mark E. Weinberger could identify if you have a case, and advise you on the next steps.
Do not let your rights be violated. It never hurts to ask and consult an experienced New York police brutality lawyer to help you determine whether you are entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Contact Mark Weinberger for a free consultation today if you believe you or a loved one was the victim of police brutality.