The role of the New York police force is to protect and serve the public, but some people feel they have been let down or even treated brutally by law enforcement officers. If you have been a victim of police brutality, you may feel daunted by the prospect of pursuing your claim against the police, but do not let feelings of apprehension deter you from seeking justice. A New York police brutality lawyer can help you to prepare your case to give you the greatest chance of success in court.
When you meet with your New York police brutality lawyer, you should present him or her with a written account of your experience at the hands of the New York police, as well as any evidence you have collected to support your case. The following pieces of information will help you in your pursuit of justice and compensation.
Information to Gather
The badge number and/or name of the officer who assaulted you.
- Identifying numbers, names, or descriptions of all officers present.
- An account of the date, time, and exact location where the incident took place.
- An eyewitness statement from someone who was present or passing by.
- Photographs of any injuries you sustained during your arrest or while in police custody. Include your face in the photographs so there can be no dispute that the photographs show injuries that were sustained by you.
- Records of medical treatment administered to you in response to your injuries. Seeking medical treatment should be your first priority when you experience police brutality. Even if you are being held in custody, you have the right to receive medical treatment for your injuries.
Once you have gathered all the evidence and presented it to the New York police brutality lawyer who will be representing your case, he or she will be able to tell you whether or not you have a strong case, and advise you on your entitlement to compensation. Even if you are not sure that your case will stand up in court, it is worth meeting with a New York police brutality lawyer to get professional advice.
Advantages of Seeking a New York Police Brutality Lawyer
New York police brutality attorneys are highly qualified professionals who understand the compensation claims procedure for police brutality cases. They can use their expertise to help you build a strong case that has a good chance of winning in court. Standing up for your rights can be scary, but having an experienced and capable lawyer by your side can help you to feel more secure and confident of success.
Police brutality is unacceptable and must be challenged. In bringing a successful police brutality claim against the police, you will not only gain compensation for the trauma you experienced, but also challenge the attitudes and behavior of law enforcement officers. Your actions could help to prevent other people from suffering similar experiences in the future.
If you have been a victim of police brutality in New York, do not suffer in silence any longer. Contact the experienced Long Island police brutality lawyers at The Law Offices of Mark E. Weinberger today to take your first step towards getting justice.