Elder Abuse & Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in New York
If you or a loved one has been the victim of elder abuse while in the care of a nursing home, our personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Mark E. Weinberger can help. While many nursing homes provide fabulous care, some of them may take the opportunity to prey on or neglect our elders. Families depend on adult care facilities and nursing homes to care for our elderly loved ones. If you know anyone who has suffered from nursing home abuse or neglect, they need the help of experienced nursing home abuse attorneys to fight for their rights and obtain the compensation they deserve.
What is Elder Abuse?
There can be a number of signs of elder abuse. Understanding what is classified as elder abuse will make spotting warning signs easier.
- Physical elder neglect – Negligence of proper care can result in injuries such as pressure or bed sores that appear on a resident’s skin and can lead to infection, the need for surgery, or even death.
- Physical senior abuse – Use of any physical force which causes pain or injury. Physical violence such as hitting, kicking or burning. This can also include the use of any physical punishments and improper use of drugs or restraints.
- Emotional abuse – Put-downs, intimidation, humiliation, “silent-treatment”, enforced social isolation or any other act carried out with the intent of causing emotional pain.
- Sexual Abuse – Any form of non-consensual sexual act constitutes abuse. This can be unwanted touching, coerced nudity, explicit photographing or even rape.
- Elder care neglect – Neglect has happened in a nursing home if they fail to provide food, water, clothing, shelter, personal hygiene care, medical care, comfort or any other agreed-upon care to an elder.
- Financial elder abuse – This is any misuse or stealing of an elder’s money or possessions, forging their signature, or using deception or coercion to get them to sign any document.
Signs of Elder Abuse
It can be difficult to recognize the signs of nursing home abuse; depending on their health, your loved one may be unable to speak up for themselves. However, there are warning signs to look for if you suspect abuse:
- Physical injuries which appear to be caused by restraints or punishment (such as rope marks or welts).
- Many injuries in various stages of healing or even going untreated.
- Unexplained venereal diseases or infections.
- Bed sores
- Sudden extreme social withdrawal or out of character lack of communication.
- Unusual dementia-type responses (such as rocking or sucking) when dementia has not been present.
- Dehydration, malnutrition, untreated health problems (such as bedsores) or poor hygiene.
- Unexplained loss of valuables or beloved personal items.
- Unexplained and sudden transferring of assets to someone previously uninvolved in their financial planning or any other abrupt changes in financial or legal documents.
- The elder’s report of any type of abuse or neglect.
Thinking About Suing a Nursing Home for Negligence?
If you suspect nursing home abuse, contact The Law Offices of Mark E. Weinberger, New York City’s leading personal injury law firm for over 30 years. Our experienced nursing home abuse attorneys’ know how to protect victims of nursing home abuse.
Contact us today by calling (855) 639-5295, or fill out a contact form for a free consultation with a nursing home abuse attorney.
Elder Abuse Attorneys Serving The Greater New York City Area
The law offices of Mark E. Weinberger P.C. are located in Rockville Centre, NY. Our team of personal injury attorneys fights for personal injury settlements in NYC, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Long Island, Nassau County, Suffolk County, and surrounding greater New York City areas.